Saturday, October 24, 2009

What is the law regarding personal property left behind at a residence?

I was allowing someone to stay in a room of my home for a few months. There was no rent being paid or any rental agreement, I was just doing him a favor. Today there was a disagreement, and he decided to start staying with his mom instead. He left all of his clothing and personal belongings. I wanted to know how long I have to keep these things before I am legally allowed to dispose of them?
Answer:
You have to give him notice and then he has 30 days to claim his property in South Carolina. Check you local laws though. I've been after my ex-wife to get her crap out of my house for 8 months. The judge finally told her she had until May 6.
Send him a registered letter - "return receipt requested" - telling him to pick up his stuff within 30 days or it will be disposed. That should be fair enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What is the © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net